Friday, August 15, 2008

Support Group

Today we went to a support caregiver group. It was great to listen to others and the problems they are experiencing and to know so many are exactly like mine. I received several suggestions of how to go about dealing with my Mom. Most all suggested I walk away and not let her run the show by manipulation or any other way. One lady said she would just call up and ask how she was doing and if she said she was really bad, tell her the door bell just rang and I had to go. This ladies Mom was there and she is in the beginning stages of Alzheimers . In fact there were two ladies that had this problem with their husbands too. The lady that it was her Mom has been bringing her to the meetings to help her with transitioning to an assisted living situation.

I was concerned that because Mom doesn't live with me that I was not really experiencing the caregiver type of burn out. But there were several others that didn't live with the people they did care giving for. That helped out a lot to hear. One lady and her husband had sold their house and her mother's house and bought a house together. Mom lives upstairs and they live down. That lady would keep nodding every time I said something that she was dealing with. She is a quiet lady but I could sense that this had been very difficult for her and her husband.

I didn't realize this would be so tiring to go to this. It was only an hour but I am exhausted. We are having a party with about four couples from our neighborhood tonight here at our house. I have been working as has G trying to get things ready. I am looking forward to making changes in my life. I know it will be a welcome change for G also. This party tonight is the beginning of doing things for us.

No comments: