Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving

I wish I could say I was the "old" fashioned kind of Mom, Grandmother that fixed the Thanksgiving turkey on the day we celebrate BUT I can't. I have found through out the years that I can fix as much as possible before hand and then I enjoy the day so much more. Yes, I know it's bad of me to want to have fun too. But I find the turkey isn't half bad warmed after being thawed and the dressing always tastes the same and the candied yams don't seem any different but my Mom and Glen's Mom always did the work the day of. So to them I bow down and say I take my hat off to you ladies for your fortitude and wiliness to do what is needed to accomplish the "deed".

I remember the history stories of the first pioneers and the Indians that worked to make this a great day of thankfulness and I feel they would somehow understand. Of course, their meal was much more simple than we have come to expect with ours.

I do give thanks for all that we have been given and for the very fact that we have food to cook and eat and that we have some family close by that we can share it with. I give thanks for my wonderful family even though most of them are not around here, I know they remember the fun times we have enjoyed this time of year and wish we could all be together but our modern day makes this so difficult but at the same time we can talk on the phone and even talk on Skype and see one another. Where as there were times in the past that people when they left home never saw family members again.

All I have to do is look around and I can see just how much I have to be grateful for. I love the Lord and give Him thanks for all he does for me and my family and for the fact that we are able to communicate and love one another.

I do wish each of you a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

2 comments:

sues2u2 said...

Awwww, Mom. That was lovely. And I am sooooo glad that you taught me that being foresighted is a Good thing! Meaning it's better to be prepared & enjoy the family together than to sit in the kitchen all day!

love you too!

skipper said...

Very nice! And the turkey was much better than "not half bad"!
We had a great time!
Love ya